Congratulations to Yellowstone General Stores (YGS) who received this year’s GreenPath Award at the 2015 Delaware North Parks and Resorts General Manager Conference held February 24-26 at Tenaya Lodge. This year’s theme of the conference, Going Places, seemed to fit perfectly for YGS achievements demonstrating their commitment to GreenPath and overall stewardship.
At Yellowstone National Park, Delaware North operates twelve General Stores and after 12 years, in the world’s first national park, this property continues to Go Places with GreenPath! In 2014 YGS successfully implemented GreenPath by:
- Meeting the program’s policies and procedures to ISO 14001 standards
- Participating in the local community’s Earth Day event
- Involving various staff members who participate on an active Green Team
- Purchasing sustainable and organic food
- Achieving greater than 62% diversion rate
- Implementing a formal Zero Waste program at the warehouse and achieving an 85% diversion rate
- Completing two LED lighting retrofits at Canyon and Yellowstone Adventures Stores which are expected use up to 80% less energy compared to the previous lamps.
- Developing and implementing a formal education program for associates, Discover Yellowstone
- Piloting their first DiscoveryPaths program, an interpretation and education program for seventh grade students
- Achieving the Environmental Achievement Award for Building the Future from the National Park Service
- Receiving the MT EcoStar Award for Pollution Prevention from the state of Montana for their significant improvement in protecting Montana’s environment by preventing pollution, whether through the reduction or elimination of wastes and pollutants, product design, energy use, manufacturing, distribution, sale, use, material recovery or through education of the importance of such steps.
Please congratulate Yellowstone General Stores!