Delaware North submitted four applications (Gideon Putnam Resort, Niagara Falls, Hamburg Gaming, and Finger Lakes Gaming and Racetrack) and all were accepted into the New York Environmental Leaders Program!
New York Environmental Leaders (NYEL) is a program that aims to provide recognition and incentives for those organizations that can demonstrate the use of pollution prevention practices, beyond compliance performance, or sustainable business practices as a result of their participation in NYEL. This program focuses on enabling organizations that are committed to making improvements in their environmental performance. And, NYEL provides organizations incentives to sustain their existing high levels of performance, and to motivate and enable organizations that are committed to reaching higher levels of performance.
To be considered, each property committed to implementing performance improvement projects that go above and beyond compliance with environmental requirements, and were acceptable to the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Performance improvement projects demonstrate results within a three year period and establish goals that are normalized for annual reporting. Delaware North facilities fit into the larger facilities categories so each property committed to four performance improvement projects.
Specifically in parks and resorts, the following performance improvements were established:
Gideon Putnam Resort
- Replace approximately 100 HVAC units with modern, energy-efficient, programmable units.
- Replace or retrofit existing exterior light fixtures with timers and photo cells.
- Divert food waste from the landfill.
- Improve the recycling program so that it is more effective and engaging for associates and guests.
Niagara Falls State Park
- Conduct lighting retrofits to LED technology at the Top of the Falls Restaurant and Cave of the Winds Building.
- The lighting retrofits also result in reducing mercury in the environment.
- Source local product line for hot dogs to reduce impacts associated with transportation.
- Retrofit seven walk-in coolers and freezers with those that are 30% more energy efficient.
Join me in congratulating each of these Delaware North properties for their commitments and acceptance into the New York Environmental Leaders Program!